Monday, August 4, 2008

Reflections on Nature

How many stanzas in the springtime breeze?
How plenty the raindrops? As He doth please.
There is no meter and there is no rhyme,
Yet God's poems always read in perfect time.
~Astrid Alauda, "Poems on Nature"

The other night my husband and I took a walk down to the state park and relaxed while the waves slowly lapped along the shore. It was a beautiful night and I just couldn't stop myself from thinking about how amazing it was that God created each tiny part of what was making up the whole around us.

I love the sound the pebbles make when the waves recede. As the tiny stones and pieces of wood and shell are drawn towards the water they make one of the most relaxing sounds ever to be heard. I hope the video below works for all of you, and that you can take a quiet moment to relax and take in the beautiful sound!




Find beauty in the solitary small things.

There is not a sprig of grass that shoots uninteresting to me. ~Thomas Jefferson


Huge spikes in a piece driftwood.

Fresh seaweed through a driftwood frame.

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug. ~Helen Keller

Barnacles made their home on an oyster.

I see an old face in this one. Do you see the limpet with the top of it's dome broken off? It's to the right of the oyster.

I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

Wild roses line both sides of the walking path.

God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone, but on trees and flowers and clouds and stars. ~Martin Luther

Reflections. I need to sit by this pond and learn to be still and patient. Some day.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. ~John Muir 1913

6 comments:

  1. nice. i really like your reflection photo! by the by we are on the island already...thanks for the invite but we flew to victoria direct...maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole- that's fine! I just thought I would at least try. What a nice way to go- flying right to the island! I hope you all have a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog looks great! You are getting quite the pro blogger! I really like the photos on this post...the beach theme and great photographs are very beautiful and enjoyable to see. btw, thanks for the compliments you left in a comment on my blog - it made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos. You should make them into postcards!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toni- I love your blog name! Thanks for the idea about the post cards, we'll have to see about that because I would love to open an etsy shop some day!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, thank you!