Friday, May 18, 2012

Coconut Macaroons

This is a yummy meringue cookie recipe so I just had to share it! It is super simple and turns out great.

Coconut Macaroons


2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
dash salt
1 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
2/3 cup sugar


1) Beat egg whites, vanilla and salt until soft peaks form.
2) Gradually add sugar, beating until very stiff and glossy.
3) Fold in coconut.
4) Drop by rounded teaspoons, about 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheets.
5) Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes or until set and slightly browned.

In the past I have accidentally added the sugar right at the beginning with the egg whites and they still turned out! In fact, that is what happened with the batch shown in these photos.  You can also see that I line my baking sheets with parchment paper instead of greasing them, since I prefer this method.

5 comments:

  1. Are they crisp on the outside and soft in the middle?? Look really yummmy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are! They are really airy in the middle, some of mine were almost hollow but that is probably because I didn't follow the directions and accidentally added the sugar in with the egg whites right at the beginning. :)

      Delete
  2. Coconut is my absolute favorite food (though I have many that are almost that favorite, lol) so I will need to make these! ~Twila

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently discovered the wonder of parchment. It's great, and I use it all the time. I'm going to try these sometime soon...they look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, thank you!