Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Yosemite, CA- Way Up High

These "way up high" shots were taken from Glacier Point. Glacier Point's elevation is 7214 feet - over 3,200 feet above the floor of Yosemite Valley. Incredible!

Half Dome


Looking straight down 3,200 feet!



I think this is Vernal Fall.

I think this is Nevada Fall.



A tiny lizard amongst the pine needles. I caught this shot right before he scurried away.

Driving through the Wawona tunnel that is almost 1 mile long and drilled through solid granite.

In Yosemite Village we visited several museums and shops. Outside one of the buildings was a cross-section of a Giant Sequoia tree with it's rings labeled. It was quite interesting. This tree once grew in the Mariposa Grove, but fell in 1919 at the ripe old age of 1000 years!


Outdoor museum showing how local natives once lived.

Local wildlife.

El Capitan - a 3000-foot high chunk of granite and a world famous climbing destination.

El Capitan again, see the climbers? (See image below.)

A closer shot.

An even closer shot! I think it would be interesting watching these guys set up camp for the night. I would guess they had a hanging tent somewhere among all that gear. (Link photo not mine.)

One of the famous U-shaped, glacier-formed valleys - Yosemite Valley with El Capitan on the left. This photo is what is called "Tunnel View" as it is the shot a lot of tourists snap at the scenic viewing area just on the other side of the Wawona Tunnel.


It falls 617 feet.

More curvy roads on the way back to our hotel!

The next day The Mr. took a hike by himself to Taft Point and Sentinel Dome and caught these photos. Taft Point is 3,800 feet above the valley floor. Can you make out the climbers on El Capitan? The Mr. saw them!

See, there they are! Ha ha. I realized that there was no way I could prove to you that there are climbers in this photo, so I circled them. Actually, while adding the circle, I accidentally zoomed in on the photo and I believe these are not people at all, but two hanging tents.

of
A shot of the 3,800 foot drop.

No comment.





Half Dome

Nevada Fall

The Mr. unknowingly channeled some Ansel Adams when taking this shot and I think it is funny how close it is to the photo I linked to! I just need to brighten it a bit and make it black and white.

This little chipmunk wanted to share The Mr.'s hiking snack. :)

Stay tuned for the next stop in our October adventure!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Beautiful photos! Those hikes have gorgeous views. I wouldn't want to sleep in one of those hanging tents though! They look a little freaky. And as for the photo with "no comment" under it, the mr. has LONG legs, so just assume he is sticking his foot way out there! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday you'll have to retrace all your footsteps with Little One. How fun for all of you : ) The climbing pictures take my breath away. I used to enjoy doing stuff like that. Now I can't even think about it without my heart speeding up. Motherhood turns women into ninnies, I tell ya ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy my vicarious travels through your blog! Thanks for the beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome but also a little freaky!! I have to agree with Brooke. The views are amazingly breathtaking... especially from a Mom's point of view. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. one of my favorite places in the whole world and i have stood on top of half dome,the hardest day of my life!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, thank you!