Friday, July 23, 2010

Exploring Sucia

The next morning we woke up well rested. Sleeping on the boat usually makes me sleep very heavy, it's great. I started off the morning by making scrambled eggs with sausage and cheese. Together with a package of last-minute-store-bought apple turnovers and Grace's addition of strawberries and French Pressed coffee, a great breakfast was had by all. Tummies were full, dishes were put away in the boat and then we took off for a bit of hiking.

Cooking breakfast on the butane stove in our boat.

Our breakfast spot.

I asked Bri to pose for me, and she was quite the natural. So cute!

Then at the end, she ran to me and I liked this shot the best out of them all.

At the old maintenance building was the most beautiful poppy the size of an orange.

Rosebud. I still haven't learned to tell the difference between the Woodland and Nootka roses, but I think this is the Woodland.

Can anyone tell me what these are? They aren't in my book, but they're pretty!

The sandstone cliffs of Shallow Bay have been worn away by the wind and waves to form the most interesting places to explore.

In some places, the sandstone is completely worn away, and a harder layer of rock behind it is exposed. This section looked like a fossil of some huge prehistoric creature. There are many places on the island where you can find fossils, but this isn't one of them!

I call this "swiss cheese rock" and it can be found in many rocky places along the shore.

The deepest cavern we came across. More like a crack, as it eventually squeezes shut to a size only a spider could go through.


A little crab.

Sallad and Bri looking in a tide pool.

Sucia is a great place for poking around in tide pools. The round shells you see in this picture are limpets. You can also see little crabs, hermit crabs, snails and all sorts of little wiggly things that I don't know the names for.

More sandstone rock formations.

A family photo of Sallad, Grace, Bri and her little brother who was sleeping soundly in the front carrier.

The weather on Saturday (June 26th) turned out SO nice!

Well good morning there little sleepy head... aren't you cute!

We were all sitting in the shade under an overhang of rock when I looked up and around to see something unusual in our "ceiling" - sunlight! There was a hole straight up through the rock. I took a few pictures that didn't turn out, and finally ended up using the night time landscape setting for this one, and you could see that there was stonecrop clinging to the edge of the cliff.

I love the beaches in the San Juan Islands. I never fail to come home with some stones, a shell or a few pieces of beach glass in my pocket. It is easy to find agates, quartz, lava, fools gold and other sparkly stones, but I thought this one was really interesting with it's coarse colorful grains surrounded in chocolate colored stone.


A sandy area along shallow bay.

The Mr. "out on a limb." This huge log was balanced up on top of a stone outcropping at the bottom of a cliff. We both sat on it and moved ourselves almost to the very end of the log before we felt it start to move.

Clam shell fossils litter the cliffs on this side of the island. There are places 10 or 15 feet (and higher I'm sure) up the cliff where you can make out clam beds in the stone. What was once the sea floor a loooong time ago is now part of the island. I also saw areas in the cliff that looked like petrified wood- dark and shiny.

An oyster maybe?

Look at the layers and subtle color changes. These are just a few of the Canadian Gulf Islands.

When it was time to go home, the water was just great and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Smooth water and sunbeams. You have to look closely in the photo, but in real life they were so beautiful.

Funny looking clouds..... wait... that's Mt. Baker hiding up there! It's huge.

When we arrived back at Drayton Harbor, we took a little detour to check out the Semiahmoo Marina breakwater and weren't disappointed. There were plenty of blubbery, cute Harbor Seals to gawk at. These two photos were taken in the very middle of Harbor Seal pupping season, hopefully I can snap some pup shots soon! They usually pup in June and July in the Pacific Northwest.

Sometimes it looks like they are smiling. The one in the center looks fat and happy to me. :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow it looks like such a fun trip! The little men still probably wouldn't appreciate the boat part but camping sounds like so much fun! That Island was so cool I would love to visit it again some day. Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, thank you!