Monday, April 20, 2009

Whistler Blackcomb

I took my old camera up the hill with me because my new one is still so new and I was afraid I would ruin it. Anyways, here are the photos I took while at Whistler and Blackcomb. A lot of them are of the new Peak2Peak gondola because it was the first time we had been on it. I must say it is a little strange to be hanging off wires in the middle of the air over a huge valley. At one point you can barely make out any towers and you seriously wonder what is keeping you from plunging down to the rocks below. :)

A map of the world that hangs at the Whistler wax and tune-up shack where you can add a pin to show where you are visiting from. Whistler has had visitors from all over the world, it is amazing. The pins here are also only the visitors that happened to visit the tune-up shack and even then there weren't very many pieces of land on the map without a pin.

The Roundhouse Lodge at Whistler. Look at all that fresh snow coming down, yay!

The Peak2Peak station at Whistler.

A Peak2Peak car.


It's neat to see the ski runs from above. This was in the middle of the week, so it wasn't crowded at all, which was SO nice! I don't think I ever truly waited in line the whole day.

Here's all the info about this gondola. It stretches 2.73 miles across and 1.88 miles of that is an unsupported span that stretches across a huge valley between the two mountains. You are suspended 1427 feet above Fitzsimmons creek at the center point of the gondola. Each car can hold approximately 22 people. Two of the cars hold less because they have clear bottoms, so that area is roped off.


This is so high that some people base jumped off of it. Check out the video here.

I only got a few photos of snowboarding because the snow was too good to waste time sitting and digging out the camera! We had such a good day.

Blackcomb



Glass bottomed Peak2Peak car.




3 comments:

  1. I'll make sure my hubby doesn't see these - he'd be oh so jealous! Looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That glass bottomed gondola is CRAZY! I hate heights-so I would find it hard to go on that lift. Harry would LOVE it though! Looks like a good time and great conditions! Very interesting and informative post-thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like fun! What a neat trip! And, those gondolas look way cool!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, thank you!