Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Stevens Pass with the Family

This was another fun day of snowboarding but this time it was at Stevens Pass. Stevens is about three hours from our house and is definitely worth the drive if you can go during the week and avoid the long lift line-ups on the weekend. Since it's around 80 miles from Seattle, I've heard it can get pretty busy on Saturdays. I have less photos of this day even though the sky was blue and the views were beautiful. We all had so much fun that I didn't stop to take as many photos as I did at Baker the day before. We stayed for night skiing too, which is so much fun. They are actually open until 10 pm, but we left exhausted around 7pm!

Part of the ski hill as seen from the parking lot.

I'm in the helmet, Kim is in the cream jacket. :) The run behind us is called Big Chief and it is so much fun! At this photo angle it looks harmless, but from the road or the parking lot it looks treacherous.



Here's dad on his skis and Kim in the background with her arms up.


Check out this 2-seater chair lift. Kind of scary if you ask me. It reminds me of a coffee ad I saw on the back of an ancient National Geographic magazine. In bad weather, this would be a very scary chair to ride in my opinion. I was just browsing some ski hills in Switzerland and one of them boasts heated chair lifts that seat six or even EIGHT. The seat padding is heated and when you bring the bar down in front of you, you also pull down a protective plastic dome that keeps you nice and sheltered. It must be pretty cold there if they invest in chair lifts like those!

We were feeling silly and weren't actually quite this scared. At least it was a two seater. Check out this one seater from the cover of a 1937 Life magazine. Here's a neat summer photo of a one seater chair lift in Banff, AB. Here's another angle. That just looks really freaky.

This is what you see when you look down. It's very far to the ground in some areas and very very far in others.



If you would like to see some more photos from the trip, my sister has now posted. You can read her posts here, here, here and here. There are a lot of fun photos. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day, thank you!