Friday, January 18, 2008

The San Diego Zoo

What an amazing place. I left with a feeling like I wanted to come back and stay a week. It is amazing to see each different animal up close. I loved the zoo so much and can't wait to go back. I am going to upload a lot of photos so if it is too much, let me know and I will change my settings so only one post loads at a time whenever there are a lot of photos.

Peacock. We saw several in the park. This one eventually glided down to the sidewalk beautifully. They are such neat birds. Once we saw three or four of them acting like pigeons and eating the crumbs from under the cafe tables!

Orangutan

Orangutan. This one needed some conditioner and a comb for those dreads!



Orangatan and either Siamangs or Bonobos, not sure!

I don't know what these birds are, but they were beautiful. A bright blue color with amazing feathers on their head with markings similar to peacock feathers.

A type of monkey called Wolf's Guenon.

Now believe it or not, this is an antelope! It is called the Royal Antelope. They weigh about 7-8 lbs and are about 10 inches high. It basically looks like a rabbit or rat, with super long spindly legs.


Gorilla

Klipspringer Antelope(above and below.) These little guys are about 22" high and 40 lbs each. They are really cute! They have tiny, rounded hooves with a pad in the center that acts like a suction cup, so they can hop from rock to rock without falling.


Bottle Brush Aloe

Bactrian (two humped) Camel.

Two Linx napping in a hammock.

8 comments:

  1. That zoo looks great. I wish I could take my kids to a zoo. Our closest one is 8 hours from home. I love all the photos on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I loved that zoo too, my favourite ever and the safari trolly car ride was my favourite part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fantastic zoo. I hope you got to see the pandas! I remember one time when my mom took us down there reeeeaally early in the morning so we could watch them feed the baby polar bears. It was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah- No we didn't get to see the pandas. The new baby made for way too long of a line up. Like hours. I did see one panda eating bamboo though- from the gondola! I got a picture, but it is basically just a blurry little black and white ball in the center of some blurry trees. Not great! I guess the mix of it being Christmas holidays, and having a new baby was just too much. We figured the live internet cams were enough for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun time with some amazing pics! I wish I could nap like those Linx right about now ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pics! I don't remember it being that beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a really great place! I've heard much about it...maybe someday we'll make it there ourselves. Have you been to Sea World down there? It's apparantly pretty amazing. I love places that you can interact a bit with the animals and/or see shows/feedings etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lily- We got to go to Sea World too when we were there. It was my 3rd or 4th time and I loved it. I highly recommend both of these places! More Zoo pics and sea world pics are to come.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, thank you!