Thursday, February 1, 2007

Birds Birds and more Birds!

As most of you probably know already, from visits to our home, or photographs I have posted here on my blog, there is a pond directly behind our house. One thing that you probably don't know about me though, is that I love birds. I have kept record of the birds that have visited our pond, and there have been quite a few.

Here is my list:
American Robin, Barn Swallow, Bald eagle (perched right on the other side of our fence), Canada Goose, Cedar Waxwing, Ring Necked Pheasant, Red Winged Black Bird, Great Blue Heron, Mallard Duck (and family), Seagull, Greater Scaup (white and black diving ducks that are really cool) Dove, Brewer's Blackbird (all black with yellow eyes,) House Finch or Cassin's Finch and Starlings.

Here are some slide shows with examples of each type of bird.





Click on these links to view pictures of other birds we have seen in the area:
Brandt's Cormorant
Brant
Sandpiper
Stellars Jay
Grey jay Up at Mt. Baker these eat out of your hand!! We have picnicked there several times and they showed up each time to finish off our bags of chips.

We also see Bats in our backyard and over the pond, but that is NOT a bird (just in case The Rich Bachelor stops by and reads this.) Bats are actually the only mammal that can fly. They eat our bugs, so we are glad for them.

These two pictures were taken out my back window yesterday. This flock of Starlings has been in the area for a couple of days now. (Thanks ioi for your comment and letting me know they are Starlings, I really didn't know what they were!)

3 comments:

  1. You didn't list Starlings (your 'flock of birds') in your list of birds seen at your pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I could rely on you ioi! I had no clue what they were. :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, thank you!