Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Breakfast Time

One of my favorite meals to serve to guests is breakfast. Breakfast foods are easy to prepare and fun to serve. I love pans full of steaming breakfast casserole, plates laden with items to smother in syrup and whipped cream, platters displaying sliced fruit, glass pitchers of fresh orange juice, mugs steaming with coffee and the morning light streaming in the window shining light on a freshly set table.

Recently (okay, maybe not so recent, it was the 13th) The Mr. and I had two families over for breakfast and it was a very nice time. Programmer and Ioi came with their three kids Dolly, PC and Emma. Chasm and his Lady came with their two kids Drooler and Cake. (Yes, I still can't think of a suitable nickname for Drooler's parents, so I am reverting to XBox sign in names.) I served the best breakfast casserole ever, (I think I can say that because it's not my recipe) as well as a gluten free version for me and a dairy free version for Drooler. It is so nice that the stores now carry so many options for people with allergies or a food intolerance. Ten years ago you would have had a hard time finding something like gluten free flours or dairy free milks at a grocery store and now there are entire aisles dedicated to foods like those. Anyways, breakfast was fun and it reminded me that I want to have people over more often. I can't really remember what else I served and there are no photos of the meal but I will say that there was fruit and also that there was no coffee. I don't know why I didn't make coffee but I will blame it on the fact that it was Friday the 13th (cue scary music.) Okay, it's true that I don't believe in "bad luck" and all that mumbo jumbo so I must have just forgotten.

After breakfast everyone relaxed. I love being part of a group of friends that can just hang out and have fun doing so. YouTube videos were watched, Xbox was played, books were read, kids ran around the house spewing toys in every corner, it was great!

The rocking horse my dad made me when I was young gets put to good use by Drooler, PC, Emma and Dolly.

PC

Programmer, The Mr. and Chasm.

Dolly can read a few words now by recognition and Ioi reads books with her. Ioi pauses for Dolly to read the words she knows and it is neat to hear her read. These times where they can sit down together at home are probably good bonding times for an oldest child and a busy mom of three!

I don't know where two of the little girls went to, but everyone else was gathered around the XBox so I thought it made a neat group photo. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun time! I love breakfast too... but for some reason breakfast dishes really annoy me. That's the only reason I don't cook breakfast more often. Strange, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, thank you!