Friday, January 11, 2008

Zuma Beach and a lot of Wind

This is "California Trip Part 5" but who likes those types of titles? Not I! Boring! So from now on, no boring titles. I have also decided that I like large photos. The blogs I go back and visit the most are blogs with large photos, so I am following suit. If this is a problem for any of my readers, let me know! On days when there are two large posts back to back, I will try to remember to change the settings so that only one post shows at a time on the page, which makes for easier viewing.


The day after the Burbank Bible conference, there is a traditional beach party at Zuma beach in Malibu. Yes, that's Malibu as in Malibu Barbie, and the place where some rich famous people live to list a few. It was also home to fires this past November. On the 24th of November 2007, the Corral Canyon Fire destroyed 53 homes, damaged 35, and burned over 4,720 acres, forcing as many as 14,000 people to evacuate. As we drove through Malibu and the surrounding areas on the way to the beach, we were able to see the burnt hills and many places where the fire reached right up to the edge of groups of homes. It also looked like it went right up to the edge of Pepperdine University.

The beach party is in question every year. It's another part of it that is traditional. The morning ritual is to ask around to see if it is still on and if there are maps at the front desk, if so, then it's on! We all pile into cars and head out to Zuma. Going to the beach in December is risky. The locals probably think we are crazy, but we go anyways most years- rain or shine! The year I met my (then future) husband at this conference- 2000, the beach party weather was perfect. Clear sunny skies and swimming weather. Two of the years we have attended since then it has either rained or been overcast and chilly. This year it was sunny, but so windy that anyone with bare skin showing lost a layer or two of it. The sand blew across the beach like snow blowing across snow banks in the prairies. Serious! I had to go and change into jeans because my legs felt like they were bleeding. In spite of the weather, there was quite a crowd at the beach, and the wind eventually died down. Chili, hot dogs, veggies, chips, juice, water, pop and cookies were served. It was very yummy, as it is every year. We had a short Bible talk this year as we huddled around a lifeguard tower for shelter but sang many songs by heart and it was a very nice time.The locals who put this on do such a good job organizing it, and even with the crazy weather, pull it off smoothly year after year. The Cary Crew are in charge of organizing it, what a big job! Thanks to everyone who helped- it was a success this year once again. The wind died down late afternoon and we were able to enjoy the beach. A few tried surfing, including Knittery Kate's son. Princess, Chip, his aunt Sue and I went for a walk down the beach and spotted a few dolphins making their way along the shore. It was the highlight of my day! I love the beach. It was so relaxing to walk along the wet sand and listen to the waves crash along the shore.


See- I do take photos of something other than babies and nature! (These are for you sis.)

Knittery's youngest daughter L on the right and her friends.

Drooler's Uncle D, Aunt M and cousins.


Hannah from here and me! (This is for all you who say I never post photo's of myself.)


An action shot of my niece J2. J3 and a friend in the background.


Surfing friends.


Footprints in the sand.

4 comments:

  1. ok these pictures are great!! I wish I could have gone :( I especially like the footprints in the sand. Very good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the pictures of the water and the footprints. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool picture of the foot prints!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a fantastic time! I love the pic of you, so cute! Wish you could be here this week, it would be such a blast, I could even throw in a little prairy wind;)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, thank you!